The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-question-is-this-how-many-individual-30509435.aspx

Subject:  Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/27/2013  4:08 PM
Author:  2828 Number:  668522 of 753821

The question is this: how many individual positions should one take within a small cap allocation? HG holds a whole ton of tiny positions and many on the boards seem to lean toward "big" numbers (say 20-30 positions) as well. I think the risk can be managed with 10 or fewer within that asset class.

Thoughts? Trey
-------------------------------------------
20-30 positions seems like alot. They say you should follow your positions closely and read all the earnings reports and conference call questions. I think with that many positions it would be tough. And that is just small caps? Would there be 20-30 mid caps and large caps too?

I probably own too many stocks myself, i read the news on them, especially when they're up big or down big, but i probably should follow closer. I only read earnings reports of stocks i'm worried about or am actively accumulating. I mostly own large cap companies.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us