The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-too-for-exactly-that-reason-twenty-30509449.aspx

Subject:  Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/27/2013  4:23 PM
Author:  TreyAnas Number:  668528 of 753835

I agree, too, for exactly that reason. Twenty positions within one or two asset classes seems pretty unwieldy unless you want to spend all you time keeping track of the companies and industries.

No matter what, I'll shift slowly. Research takes time and I'll need to manage my capital gains tax bill carefully as/if I ease out of the ETF's. I suppose that in itself will limit risk, since I'll still be holding ETF positions for several years.

Wolverine, are you dripping into a mix of large and small cap stocks? Or more to the point, are you pretty conscious about following an asset allocation strategy across your portfolio? In my opinion, drippings a great way to force reinvesment and dollar-cost average. But, there's as much, maybe more, opportunity in sensible asset allocation.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us