The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-question-is-this-how-many-individual-30509535.aspx

Subject:  Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/27/2013  5:25 PM
Author:  LuckyDog2002 Number:  668544 of 734825

The question is this: how many individual positions should one take within a small cap allocation? HG holds a whole ton of tiny positions and many on the boards seem to lean toward "big" numbers (say 20-30 positions) as well. I think the risk can be managed with 10 or fewer within that asset class.

Thoughts? Trey

>>>>>>>>>>>

I think it depends on total amount of your portfolio, your time and inclination to manage it as well.

I have a lot of stocks and I have complained off and on over the yrs about it and wanting to pare things down. It never gets that way. I'm all for income and growth stocks so I have all sorts of things in there. I have a few losing positions but I'm holding on for now. I also have mutual funds that I set up a long time ago at Vanguard...I've made some changes over the yrs as well. I'm not a churner nor am I a nervous nelly as far as selling when the bad winds blow. They go up and they go down....the permanent down's are the ones I want to stay away from.

There's no right answer, it's up to the individual.

LuckyDog

btw I just read about SM...small fry oil and gas company, I'm intrigued....but haven't done more research so do your own. :)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us