The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotthe-question-is-this-how-many-individual-30509653.aspx

Subject:  Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/27/2013  7:02 PM
Author:  Art53 Number:  668571 of 748835

"The question is this: how many individual positions should one take within a small cap allocation? HG holds a whole ton of tiny positions and many on the boards seem to lean toward "big" numbers (say 20-30 positions) as well. I think the risk can be managed with 10 or fewer within that asset class. Thoughts?" - Trey
---------------

All my money is in index funds (60%) and bond funds (~40%). I started taking 72(t)SEPP distributions when I was 52 and finished up my 72(t) mandatory distributions last year when I turned 59 1/2 years old. My IRA account grew by about ~$20,000 during that time plus I got to take a single annual distribution each year to live on.

Oh yeah, the index funds are like large cap, mid cap, small cap, plus a little bit is in international funds.

I don't buy individual stocks. My wife bought some McDonald's stock years ago and it has grown a lot, like I think she originally bought like $1,600 worth of McDonald's and now it's worth like $16,000 or something. It's split a whole bunch of times. My wife is a whole lot smarter and richer than I am.

That is all.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us