The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quot20-30-positions-seems-like-alot-they-say-30509656.aspx

Subject:  Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/27/2013  7:05 PM
Author:  Art53 Number:  668573 of 734774

"20-30 positions seems like alot. They say you should follow your positions closely and read all the earnings reports and conference call questions. I think with that many positions it would be tough. And that is just small caps? Would there be 20-30 mid caps and large caps too?

I probably own too many stocks myself, i read the news on them, especially when they're up big or down big, but i probably should follow closer. I only read earnings reports of stocks i'm worried about or am actively accumulating. I mostly own large cap companies." - 2828

-----------

What I don't understand is why don't ya'll just put your money in index funds and not worry about it? Just leave it there and let it grow? What is the allure of owning individual stocks? Is there some kind of income tax advantage that I don't understand?

Art, "dumb and lazy"
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us