The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-54-retired-at-48-my-asset-allocation-model-30509672.aspx

Subject:  Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/27/2013  7:16 PM
Author:  TreyAnas Number:  668581 of 757320

I'm 54, retired at 48.

My asset allocation model has 8 asset classes. I have almost nothing in mutual funds. Today, I populate all the asset classes except large caps with either ETF's (various equity categories) or CEF's (for bonds). There are some exceptions, but this is close.

Using an asset allocation model with ETF's and CEF's is extremely simple to manage. And it's worked well for the last, say, 13 or so years.

But, I enjoy studying companies and their business models and think I'm ready to do some small cap selection myself. As I said earlier, it will be a gradual process. In the end, I may underperform the small cap indeces/ETF's. Or maybe not. I'll take the risk.

Also, I absolute don't abrogate responsibility for selection. I'll use Hidden Gems and other sources for seed ideas and first-cut analysis. Stupid decisions will be mine, though, not theirs.

Thanks for the comments! Trey
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us