The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-was-wondering-when-you-turn-62-will-you-be-30509680.aspx

Subject:  Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/27/2013  7:21 PM
Author:  307wolverine Number:  668582 of 734436

I was wondering - when You turn 62 will you be able to collect some social security income also? If so the sum total of your social security + military retiree pension might be enough to have a decent life on? Especially if you add whatever you can generate from your savings and investments?

I'm figuring that by then there will be some kind of means testing and I'll take a haircut due to being a double-dipper. Something has to happen.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna plop another grand into my IRA. That'll bring me to $110,000, plus the other stuff I mentioned. While I know that pales in comparison to what most of y'all have done, I wasn't as bright/mature as many of you and I paid what Dave Ramsey calls "The Stupid Tax."

Bear in mind, however, at age 40 I was literally penniless (except for my pension). Everything you read about has been accumulated in a little less than 16 years, plus being a single parent, plus having no real marketable job skills in MI.

I am also debt-free.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us