The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotthe-idea-is-this-in-the-last-quarter-of-30509765.aspx

Subject:  Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/27/2013  8:38 PM
Author:  Art53 Number:  668605 of 726178

"The idea is this: In the last quarter of the year, I assess my tax position, especially my capital gains position. In order to minimize excess gains (those taxed at >15% rate) I might sell shares of investments in the red. I "harvest" the loss to offset realized gains in other investments. Then, I re-invest the proceeds in a different stock or fund (but one I believe is worthy). I certainly never sold shares in a good company to buy shares in an inferior company. At least not on purpose!" - Trey
----------------

Yeah, that's way too complicated for me. You sell your losers and somehow that helps you save money on your winners? So you don't have to pay over 15% in taxes?

I think I better stick to index funds. So far that is working pretty good for me. Your way sounds way too complicated for this fat old Tennessee Hillbilly.

We are up to about a million bucks in savings and investment and we have no debt. Our house and cars are paid for. I figure with that and what we we'll get in social security we aren't going to end up living in a dumpster.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us