The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-assume-this-tiaa-cref-traditional-is-the-30510101.aspx

Subject:  Re: $950K ... now what? Date:  1/28/2013  4:31 AM
Author:  MisterFungi Number:  34729 of 35367

I assume this [TIAA-CREF traditional] is the lion's share of the holding? And that other investments at Vanguard will be more along the lines of DCA? That there will or wont be a rollover from TIAA-CREF later?

Actually, I'm a bit embarrassed to say, 100% of my university retirement plan for all these many years has been TIAA-CREF Traditional. (My Schwab account is of roughly equal size, and that's been what I've used for investing.) Future monthly contributions of 5% of my salary (which is double-matched by my university) will go into the Vanguard mix I listed.

After I retire in June 2014, I intend to keep about half of the TIAA-CREF Traditional in the fixed annuity and roll about half into the Vanguard funds over the course of the required time period (which is, like, 9 years).

I think this sounds reasonable, but I am wide open to advice.

The reason for these questions is that Vanguard has the Admiral funds for larger investments. The fees are ultra low and the dividend yields slightly higher.

Actually, the funds I get to use are the Institutional funds, which have even lower fees than the Admiral funds, I believe -- e.g., the annual fee on VBAIX is 0.08%.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us