The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Apple User's Group

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/since-then-ive-had-no-problems-and-its-a-lot-30510997.aspx

Subject:  Re: Quicken 2007 Grrrrrrrr Date:  1/28/2013  2:20 PM
Author:  FlyingDiver Number:  62140 of 65302

Since then, I've had no problems and its a lot easier to go from VmWare to the Apple programs than it would be in Parallels. I don't have to shut down and restart and I believe one has to do so with Parallels.

I think you're confusing Parallels and BootCamp. Parallels is functionally equivalent to VMWare. They are very similar programs, and do things in very similar ways. I've only played with VMWare, but I am a regular (if reluctant) user of Parallels. If there are Windows apps that you use on a frequent basis, you can set up Parallels so the apps work almost like OS X apps. Not the UI of the app, but the app can sit in the dock like OS X apps and have it's own windows on the screen with little or none of the "Windows" UI showing. I think VMWare does things similary.

With BootCamp, you do need to shut down and restart.

Another alternative, which does not require purchasing a Windows license, is to use Crossover.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us