The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/2828-suggested-in-an-earlier-post-that-i-raise-a-30511276.aspx

Subject:  Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/28/2013  3:54 PM
Author:  ascenzm Number:  668765 of 725981

2828 suggested in an earlier post that I raise a retirement topic, if that's what I want to discuss. Maybe he/she's right, so here goes ...

Besides Options, I'm evaluating MF Hidden Gems. I have about 35% of my portfolio in small caps and all of this, with the exception of a single small position, is split between IWN and IWO. (These are small cap value and growth stock ETF's, respectively.)

I used ETF's for my US small cap asset allocation both to diversify away as much risk as I could, and to save time studying stocks. Though IWO and IWN have done very well over the last decade or so, tracking their indeces admirably, I think I'm ready to do a little more work, take a little more rick, and shoot for slightly better returns.

The question is this: how many individual positions should one take within a small cap allocation? HG holds a whole ton of tiny positions and many on the boards seem to lean toward "big" numbers (say 20-30 positions) as well. I think the risk can be managed with 10 or fewer within that asset class.

Thoughts? Trey

I'm a fan of index funds as I don't want to spend time analyzing individual stocks when I could using the time to more enjoyable pursuits. If you want to dabble in individual stocks why don't you set aside a small amount of your investments (your mad money) and pick some individual stocks. If you lose out on these picks you still have the bulk of your investments.

Mike
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us