The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quoti-suspect-over-the-next-few-years-ill-30511571.aspx

Subject:  Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/28/2013  5:44 PM
Author:  Art53 Number:  668805 of 740211

"I suspect over the next few years, I'll eventually stop picking stocks and go with mutual funds solely as I near my 1.25 million FIRE goal." - Metal
-----------------

I counted up all our nickels and dimes last night and figure we are right at $1 million. I used to think a million bucks was rich - not so much anymore. That's not counting my little pension from Tennessee and what we will get from social security. If you add all that in, using intercst's 4% rule (X25) I figure we are probably worth around $1.7 million?

What I mean is like how much it would take in investments times .04 to generate what we will get from my pension and our two social security checks. It's strange to think that we are now at the place I dreamed about way back when I was 30 years old taking Dr. Evan Brown's Economic Development class at the University of Georgia. I will be turning 60 in just a couple of weeks. So it took us 30 years to get to this point.

I told Bonnie she could retire now if she really wanted to but she says she's not ready - which is fine by me because we both get our health insurance through her work. So what I'm calculating on now is her retiring when she turns 66 which will put me that much closer to 65 when I can switch over and get some kind of insurance through Medicare.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us