The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-a-quotonce-and-alwaysquot-eagle-scout-30511770.aspx

Subject:  Re: Breaking: Boy Scouts consider sanity... Date:  1/28/2013  7:29 PM
Author:  icono5 Number:  417184 of 445534

As a "once and always" Eagle Scout (1981), I've followed this broader debate with interest, especially in recent months. A major shift in national leadership in the early 90s repositioned the BSA in a sadly restrictive way. The Girl Scouts, to which my daughter proudly belongs, is far less doctrinaire and much less morally constipated.

I do applaud the recent change of heart, er, pocketbook . . . . even though I am merely a gay ally but a straight-up (pun intended) atheist. By the time I was in my late teens, I had the most trouble with two particular (of the twelve) tenets of the Scout Law: obedient and reverent. What they share is a potentially authoritarian--rather than simply respectful--bent. Respect for others should be a given; true authority must be earned, and no deity worth her salt has accomplished that yet. In response to 1poorguy's point, it's possible to argue for a non-teleological cast to "reverent," but I share your concern that the word has a heavily supernatural connotation.

For those interested in the lobbying effort, you might check out "Scouts for Equality" on Facebook or the broader web. This initiative has restored some of my secular faith in an institution that taught me a tremendous amount during my youth.

A good evening to all!

icono5
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us