The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/wages-in-more-than-1-state-30513848.aspx

Subject:  Wages in more than 1 State Date:  1/29/2013  6:00 PM
Author:  AndrewXnn Number:  117585 of 121061

I work for a corporation with multiple sites and employees in several different states. Many of my fellow workers regularly travel back and forth between states. I don't travel a lot, but do typically spend about 2 weeks a year out of my home state typically at conferences.

Was surprised when informed that starting in 2013, we will all be required to file tax returns for all the some states that we work in during the year.

Right now, this isn't exactly a rumor as it was our HR Director making the announcement. Of course a lot of people had a lot of questions on this and she did not have many answers. However, my understanding is that some states are looking at this as a source of tax revenue. Supposedly there will be more to be announced on this in the future.

So, I'm curious to know if anybody else is aware of this. I'm most concerned about my home state New York, but also Maryland, Pennsylvania, Florida and California.

Thinking this might be good news since taxes are fairly high in New York and anything that lowers my state wage base would be good. However, I've got no experience in filing out of state returns. I'm also thinking that this might make the lower income tax states (Florida maybe) attractive for conferences since doing so would allow attendees to reduce their home state wage base.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us