The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/god-im-glad-i-dont-have-to-worry-about-all-30514030.aspx

Subject:  Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/29/2013  7:19 PM
Author:  warrl Number:  669049 of 749107

God I'm glad I don't have to worry about all that. I'm glad I wasn't born into a culture where they are so terrified about what they eat. It doesn't matter.

Quite a lot of the kosher laws make sense from a perspective of public health and nutrition, relative to the location and available technology in which they were developed.

Anything pigs can eat, humans can eat. They are direct competitors for food. Feeding the pig decreases the food supply for humans, since the pig is less than 100% efficient at converting food to pig-meat.

Blood spoils faster than meat. MUCH faster. So if you completely drain the blood from the meat, it can be stored longer without spoiling.

With inadequate sewage systems, a lot of human waste slides out into the sea. Most of the sea creatures that eat waste are bottom-feeders and/or crustaceans; not many are true fish. On the other hand, bottom-dwelling creatures are likely to become contaminated even if they do not eat waste.

Now the thing about milk and meat... that's harder to explain.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us