The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-i-have-multiple-iras-my-question-is-do-i-have-30515251.aspx

Subject:  Re: RMD Question Date:  1/30/2013  11:56 AM
Author:  arahfool Number:  18187 of 19380

As I have multiple IRA's my question is do I have to take distributions from each account or just the required amount in total from any of the accounts?

You calculate the RMD from each account separately. (If the calculation factor is the same for all of them you can just add 'em up and do one calculation.) However, you can take the total RMD from any one account or combination of accounts you choose. Also, unlike contributions withdrawals can be other than cash. For example, if you have a stock in your IRA that you like you can just move shares of that stock to your taxable account.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

That is exactly what I wanted to hear <g>. The reason being is that my primary account is an annuity with a guaranteed 7.2% return and I want to delay my withdrawals from that for at least another year.

I am not sure how or what would cause the calculation factor to change from account to account?

I am still doing the math on whether to delay this year's withdrawal until 2014.

Thanks,
arahfool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us