The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-case-you-havent-kept-up-heres-an-update-on-30515886.aspx

Subject:  Re: Gun Control?--How's the War on Drugs Coming? Date:  1/30/2013  3:47 PM
Author:  307wolverine Number:  669267 of 741502

In case you haven't kept up, here's an update on super natural beings. If your six or eight can exist (well, who knows how many angels there are, and how many cherubs?).....and we got regular angels and arch-angels, right? It must be hard to kept track of all of them.

I have no need to "keep up" because I don't care. Mankind has long sought answers to the questions: Who are we? Why are we here? Where are we going?

Unfortunately, the hard data to answer those questions is non-existent, so mankind does a variety of things, including creating elaborate systems to explain the unexplainable.

Mankind's long history on this planet has been one of struggle, To quote a famous economist, "nasty, brutish, and short." In order to give each other and themselves hope they create a world on the other side that makes the pain and suffering in the here and now more bearable.

I know that such people secretly wish they could be strong and tough like you are, but we all need our crutches.

Mentally ill flock to religion, just like they do to governemnt, but you always seem content to throw the baby out with the bath water. No credit is given to feeding the hungry, curing the sick, and all of those other things religious people do because they feel motivated and called upon by a Higher Power to try and make this world a little nicer place for everyone.

It is also very easy to point out atheists (Stalin, Pol Pot, etc...) that used their gift of life to destroy others, but somehow you give atheism a pass, but toss every theist into the same pot.

When you search for the splinter of hatred in the theist's eye you somehow overlook the forest of beams in your own.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us