The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/nothing-the-scouts-will-do-will-ever-make-liberals-30515972.aspx

Subject:  Re: Gay Scouts kerfuffle Date:  1/30/2013  4:21 PM
Author:  MetalDecathlete Number:  669293 of 734957

Nothing the scouts will do will ever make liberals happy. Unless perhaps they start carrying pink backpacks and sing songs of praise to the UN.

Why the scouts should even buckle on one thing is a mystery to me. To me, the fact that the scouts are consistantly at odds with the media and popular culture in general is a good thing.

When I was a scout, I spent plenty of time one-on-one with a leader. You see, my dad was frakking worthless as a dad. The 2 or 3 men that took me in were morally and ethically straight and got me moving in the right direction. I learned discipline and I learned right from wrong by gentle coercion and teaching, not by fear or intimidation. I learned to shoot a rifle, shoot a bow, fish, basic survival skills and many, many other things as my box of merit badges suggest.

I would have been an eagle scout if my parents had not moved to a place where scouts were nonexistant.

Metal
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us