The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thats-why-im-for-a-single-payer-system-no-way-30517410.aspx

Subject:  Re: Low Education Voterfraude Date:  1/31/2013  11:34 AM
Author:  MetalDecathlete Number:  669515 of 746060

That's why I'm for a single payer system. No way to screw the little guy that way. All the poor pitiful ner-do-wells are covered regardless. Everybody pays through taxes. Right off the bloody top.

Art

Perhaps not the little guy, but pretty much everyone would be screwed. Especially people like me and my DW who are fast approaching the top earning years of our career (read higher taxation). Yet, because of our fitness/dietary lifestyles, we don't get sick and we don't go to the doctor. We don't buy presciption drugs. If we get something like poison ivy or athletes foot, we fix naturally.

Even now, I pay into our health care plan at work every paycheck and hardly ever use it. But I chose the least expensive option, an HDHP/HSA, which gives me the opportunity to build up tax free $ into an investment account for later usage if we ever do need health care.

Convert that to a single payer system with our inefficient, overburdened gov't in control and I would be screwed royally.

Metal
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us