The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/2828-whats-amazing-to-me-is-im-starting-to-hear-30517441.aspx

Subject:  Re: Obama's entitlement economy Date:  1/31/2013  11:46 AM
Author:  MetalDecathlete Number:  669517 of 737077

What's amazing to me is i'm starting to hear democrats saying that the deficit isn't even a problem. Obama has said it and more recently i heard Landrieu say it, "don't listen to Fox News, the deficit isn't a problem". Of course 6 years ago they were calling much smaller deficits when the debt was alot smaller, "a failure of leadership". All the dems should be tasered. It's too bad the media friggin' sucks.

My liberal golfing buddy told me as much the last time we played. He believes all the feldercarp the media and moveon.org types throw around about the 'tea party'. I was trying to educate him what the basic beliefs of the tea party were. I started with fiscal restraint and our gov't living within its means.

He says, "why?. Why do we need to pay down the deficit. We can just keep printing money to support our social programs. We are the United States and can do it as long as we want."

And this was after I spent about 10 minutes talking about China propping us up, giving him examples of other gov't collapses throughout history, asking him what happens when an individual or business keeps borrowing money to the point they can no longer afford the interest.

And this is a guy who scored 1300 on his SAT and got an economics degree.

I gave up and just focused on my golf game, which was going badly. It was cold and windy. I shot a 91. Worse score in 5 years.

Metal
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us