The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-chickenhawk-decade-of-bushcheney-killed-a-30518979.aspx

Subject:  Re: Early Retirement now a Lost Art? Date:  2/1/2013  3:47 AM
Author:  salaryguru Number:  47604 of 60042

The Chickenhawk Decade of Bush/Cheney killed a lot of people's dreams.

Sometimes I feel so lucky. I really didn't even start thinking about retirement seriously until 1990 when I accidentally took a job working for Satan.

I had already been fortunate enough to be born in the richest country on earth, into a stable family of loving and supportive parents, with no serious mental or physical defects. I was fortunate enough to be interested in a field of study that was emerging as important and influential in both US strategic interests and global economic growth. I was fortunate that a State college offered reasonably priced, world class education in that field of interest. And I was fortunate enough to reach a point in my life when I wanted to consider retirement just as the US economy was starting to produce outstanding investment opportunities.

None of these fortunate events had anything to do with me. I was simply very lucky.

I sometimes think that one of the biggest differences between liberals and conservatives is that liberals recognize and acknowledge their good fortune while conservatives believe that their good fortune proves they are superior. Or conversely, that liberals recognize that bad luck can be responsible for unfortunate outcomes while conservatives are very happy blaming the victims.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us