The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks M / MAKO Surgical Corp.

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/absolutely-we-are-on-the-same-page-i-appreciate-30519686.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hospitals beginning to tout research results Date:  2/1/2013  1:21 PM
Author:  gatorswamp Number:  728 of 1416

Absolutely, we are on the same page.
I appreciate you pulling the news feeds for us, the publicity truly is what we need.
I just want to make sure that our fellow investors here are critical of the "literature". It is very important to be so in medicine.

When a speaker is compensated for a presentation, they recieve some funds, and often even slides which are very fancy and created by the company. I don't know that in this case, but this is common.

I also have had (not now) consulting relationships but they were related to going and teaching other surgeons techniques. The paid talk circuit needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I went to a course one time to learn the placement of a new device, and the day was organized by their hired gun, a very good surgeon and also now a freind. Funny, a year later, a competing company was rolling out a competing device that does exactly the same thing and required attendance of a training course. I went and the SAME GUY was doing the other one too! Which set of slides am I supposed to beieve!

Articles citing "new reports" from a hospital website and touting the local practice, when there have not been new reports published in a year, need to be taken with a grain of salt. It is an advertisement. For once I guess I disagree with Denny!

I don't want readers here to leave with an impression that there has been any type of long term superiority proven for this robot. That does not mean it ISN'T superior, it just means it is not proven. Right now it is new, expensive, a good idea, and perhaps it is better also, but we don't know that.

Please keep posting these reports, they are the essence of what we need now for our stock, but they are not science for the most part.

gator
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us