The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-talking-about-the-long-term-plan-of-what-to-30520362.aspx

Subject:  Re: Backdoor Roth IRA - Anything need to know? Date:  2/1/2013  5:37 PM
Author:  PSUEngineer Number:  71329 of 74815

I'm talking about the long-term plan of what to have available in retirement. Not the shorter term planning of what to do this year.

Sure but the OP asked about the conversion rules for a traditional IRA contribution made this coming year and the poster, JLC, said open a traditional IRA and don't convert. Your response said "Someone commented on keeping some traditional IRA money as well as the Roth. An excellent idea.". Since the OP was making a shorter term planning decision, I was making sure that she didn't decide not to convert based on JLC's advice. Your followup seemed to support JLC.

For a short term plan of making a non-deductible traditional IRA in 2013, I don't see a reason not to convert 100% of the contribution.

PSU
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us