The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-someone-wants-to-retire-before-59-12-when-30520947.aspx

Subject:  Re: Backdoor Roth IRA - Anything need to know? Date:  2/2/2013  7:38 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  71332 of 78166

if someone wants to retire before 59 1/2, when the Roth becomes fully distributable, one would have to bridge the gap between the age of retirement and age 59 1/2. So, a regular brokerage account will likely be one of the best vehicles to bridge the gap.

Maybe it's just that I tend to be conservative around my financial planning, but I have never considered the amount you can put into an IRA (Traditional or Roth) or 401k to be sufficient to fund retirement, and so have always also saved in a taxable brokerage account as well.

This has done a couple of things. It has given me the flexibility to do whatever I want with the money such as funding the kids' college, although I was also saving for that, or have money available to buy our retirement home, which we are looking for now, or even just pay for a child's wedding at some point which is probably sooner than I would like, but they are getting to be that age. It has let me save quite a bit more than what is allowed in the "retirement" accounts so that I can have more income in my retirement, which I calculate that I need anyhow if I want to maintain our current stan