The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-mistake-30521132.aspx

Subject:  My mistake Date:  2/2/2013  11:17 AM
Author:  RussellStover Number:  117608 of 121570

I messed up yesterday and sold a fraction of my DAKT holdings for $12 a share knowing I had paid $20 a share for them and wanting to add to a small and rapidly shrinking carry-forward loss. Turns out FIFO was my mistake and I sold shares that I had purchased pre-split in 2005 at $20 so basis was really $10 and I made a profit on yesterday's sale. I still hold other shares that I paid $20 for post-split. I know I have 3 days to change which shares I sold on the TDA website, but after thinking about it a little, I realize I don't know enough to decide if that would be the best. I could save the highest basis shares for the future. With yesterday's sale still have not completely wiped out carry-forward loss but was wanting to keep a loss on the books because I am making alot of short-term trades for gains and don't want to pay the taxes on the short term gains. Tentative plan was to not sell my long term gain stocks till they could be taxed at 15% after wiping out all of past losses with short term gains.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us