The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-always-maxed-out-my-roth-ira-contributions-30522274.aspx

Subject:  Re: Backdoor Roth IRA - Anything need to know? Date:  2/3/2013  11:15 AM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  71336 of 76082

I've always maxed out my Roth IRA contributions in the past and I would like to continue.

Maybe it was somewhere in the thread but what tax year is "in the past." It sounds like the 2012 tax year is fine. When you are considering 2013, you'll be considered married for the whole year. If your expected joint income is too high to contribute, do you know what your marginal tax rate will be ? If so, make sure that paying taxes at that rate is really worth it.

Also, carefully compare that to what you would pay for taxable investments(short term gain, long term gain and dividends). For some reason the word "taxable" scares people.

I'd also wait to do anything other than an individual taxable account until after your are married.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us