The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  IRA Recharacterization/Distribution? Date:  2/4/2013  8:12 AM
Author:  hk2 Number:  117614 of 127616

Late last year I mistakenly made a deposit to a regular IRA instead of my Roth.

I conducted a recharacterization and the money was moved from the regular IRA to the Roth..

I received a 1099-R for a distribution of those funds from the regular IRA.

Is this to be expected?

If so, how do I account for this on my tax forms? I hate to think that I'd have to pay tax on this, especially since the initial deposit was from after tax funds.

Do I claim the initial deposit and the distribution so that the tax issue is a wash?

What about the early withdrawal penalty?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us