The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks F / Ford Motor Company

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-had-the-experience-of-driving-a-friends-tesla-s-30525326.aspx

Subject:  Re: BEVs have lost their luster... Date:  2/5/2013  10:03 AM
Author:  SkepikI Number:  17396 of 18067

I had the experience of driving a friends Tesla S the other day. Very impressive, and lots of interesting new technology, which I have to believe will make it to other models soon. But I kept having visions of snazzy new technology failing as I used it. Like the cool door handles that power out when you touch them...what happens when that motor or sensor or circuit goes? Break a window? Replacement parts? ummm $550? more ??? who could I trust to work on them, certainly not me. I think most of the controls are "fly by wire" to judge by the gearshift, of course that seems true of most now. Still, there is always a certain segment that will pay the premium and if that results in a profit, unsubsidized, it can self-sustain and grow. All sorts of business models like that work especially for the "new and wonderful" - Whole Foods comes to mind, we call them "Whole Paycheck", as does Rolls Royce.

The real problem for me besides the price and reliability is infrastructure. There is gasoline in Denio NV and Fields OR, but charging station? no way. EV's are for city slickers...hybrids will work for the rest of us.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us