The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks F / Ford Motor Company

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-i-have-a-module-blow-had-one-failure-in-55k-30525710.aspx

Subject:  Re: BEVs have lost their luster... Date:  2/5/2013  12:39 PM
Author:  KennyO Number:  17400 of 18154

If I have a module blow (had one failure in 55k miles so far), it'll probably cost out the wazoo...

The moonroof control on my Volvo S80 failed two years ago, continually opening then closing then opening then... I was sure it was just the switch since I could wiggle the switch to make it stop cycling. But no, the module replacement was quoted at $352.00. Since I don't often use the moonroof I decided that I could wiggle the switch for a long time at that price. I can only imagine what it'd cost to replace an engine control module. I suspect that one of the many lessons Ford took away from its ownership of Volvo was the profitability of replacement modules. My car's ten years old and, given the proliferation of technical gimcracks and gewgaws throughout the industry, I'm increasingly reluctant to buy a new car. Hybrids and BEVs are surely at the bleeding edge of this technology.

KennyO
curmudgeon-in-training
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us