The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Ask The Headhunter

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/dd-has-been-pursued-by-a-company-down-in-atlanta-30526634.aspx

Subject:  Re: pay for your own travel expenses? Date:  2/5/2013  6:57 PM
Author:  YewGuise Number:  49076 of 49497

DD has been pursued by a company down in Atlanta that has been telling her they don't interview til Feb, and she should call to schedule an interview. So she just called them, and they want her to go down there for the interview, but they will not reimburse travel expenses.

Then I wonder what "has been pursued" really means. Doesn't sound like a very motivated pursuit on the company's part. So it comes down to how motivated your DD is to pursue this opportunity. Deciding factors include: What does this company offer that others (in your area) don't? And/or, how interested is your DD in Atlanta?

Probably my DD's experience was different enough that it doesn't apply, but FWIW here it is anyway:

- Graduated May 2005, moved back home (D.C.area).
- In June, sent resumes to L.A. (California) companies she was interested in, giving dates in July when she'd be in L.A. and available for in-person interviews, and welcoming phone interviews in the meantime.
- In July, traveled to L.A., stayed with friends, had 3 interviews, found an apartment, got and accepted an offer from her 1st choice company.
- Returned here for about a month before moving to L.A.

So, she did cover her own travel expenses. Or rather, DH & I did, as a graduation present. However, she'd already decided she wanted to move, and to focus her job search in the target area.

Best of luck to your DD!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us