The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: savings bonds and education Date:  2/6/2013  10:40 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117651 of 123001

I have a small collection of EE/I bonds. They are all well over 5 years at this point. The vast majority of the value is in the I bonds which are 2001 vintage (i.e. a pretty good rate). The EE bonds are all maturing in 2013-2014.

Is the interest federally taxable as income (25% for me) or long term capital gains (15%)?

It's ordinary income interest, not a cap gain.

Before spending too much time on the calculation intricacies, make sure tha