The Motley Fool Discussion Boards
Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE
|Subject: The Craziest Things Happen to Me||Date: 2/6/2013 2:43 PM|
|Author: MetalDecathlete||Number: 670326 of 835223|
- I've broken 3 ribs from parasailing
- DW and I got caught in a freak thunderstorm that came out of nowhere with driving rain, 50 mph wind and lightening while kayaking out in the middle of Lake Ray Roberts. Kayak capsized and we swam/pulled the kayak about 2 miles until finally being rescued by the state park rangers. The storm lasted 1 1/2 hours before helicopters could spot us.
- Last summer, DW and were hiking to the top of Mount Bierstadt in CO. We did not leave early enough in the morning and again, got caught in a lightning storm. It was awful. We were scrambling down the mountain, hopping on boulder after boulder while the hair on our arms were crackling. You could hear the static electricity in the air.
- While hiking (alone) in the spring time near the Rocky Mountain National forest, I was not paying attention and veered over a frozen lake. The ice broke and I fell through. I was able to catch myself before falling all the way through and pulled myself up and onto the ice/snow and crawled back to the shore.
- Multiple mountain bike wrecks with broken bones and cracked ribs.
- survived an ocean sailing trip that was supposed to be a week of lounging in the sun, fishing and swimming off secluded beaches on the Gulf of Mexico. Instead, it was a week of hellish rain storms, concluding with a horrific storm with winds in the 70 mph range. We were trying to make it back to Freeport during a night sailing run. We pulled in the sail and tried to diesel back to port but we had bought some dirty diesel the day before so the engine stalled. So we trimmed the sail to the smallest