The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/go-for-it-wingnuts-defend-the-pointless-30529324.aspx

Subject:  Re: OTish: what sort of scum shoots an elephant. Date:  2/7/2013  6:01 AM
Author:  AdvocatusDiaboli Number:  1858323 of 1950161

Go for it, wingnuts. Defend the pointless shooting of an elephant. Make yourselves look like the dirtbags you are.
Say "no, I don't condone the shooting of elephants for entertainment".

Well, I'm going to say:

I *do* condone the shooting of elephants for entertainment purposes.
Wildlife parks such as the Kruger National Park have too many elephants, and a rapidly growing population (7% per year).
What are you going to do with them? Wait until they've torn down and devoured the last tree and watch them starve?
I've heard contraception being suggested as an option, but I'm not sure how effective that is, and frankly, it's a bit ridiculous.

I'd say if you're going to shoot the elephants anyway to keep their population stable, you might as well earn money doing so and employ some people in the local economy.
It is crucial for the long-term sustainability of wildlife preserves in Africa that the local population benefits directly from the presence of such wildlife. One way to do that is to offer hunting safaris for overweight white men with a midlife crisis.

I don't know if I would go on such a safari if offered the chance, but I certainly don't condemn those who do.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us