The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-jean-youre-in-landscaping-no-thinking-of-30529881.aspx

Subject:  Re: Strippers employees or not Date:  2/7/2013  11:44 AM
Author:  Jeanwa Number:  117668 of 120820

But Jean, you're in landscaping, no? Thinking of moonlighting during the slow seasons?

Hmmmm, Hadn't thought of that, but I don't know if I would get many tips, being older than dirt with too many wrinkles from too much working in the sun. Of course, not being able to dance might have an impact, too.

Mostly thinking about it because I'm always asked about contract labor vs employee.

The last one was a bookkeeper that was hired by a friend of mine. Her husband worked for the railroad. It's her understanding that she can't draw retirement on her husband's railroad account and SS. She didn't like having to pay into SS since she could never get it. If the railroad/SS is true it's one case where I do think paying into SS is unfair.

But that is life. I explained she'd have to pay both portions as a contractor. She's a great lady. She wasn't really trying to get out of paying taxes.

Jean
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us