The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-lowstudent-in-the-mid-70s-wayne-booth-wrote-30529895.aspx

Subject:  Re: Obama's Secret Plan to Steal Your 401k Date:  2/7/2013  11:47 AM
Author:  icono5 Number:  1858360 of 1961742

Hi, lowstudent! In the mid-70s, Wayne Booth wrote a now-classic text. I know, he was an academic and in the humanities to boot, and thus cause for great suspicion in certain corners. The latter is wickedly ironic, considering . . . . The book was titled _Modern Dogma and the Rhetoric of Assent_. In it, Booth criticized the all-too-frequent cultural tendency toward "motivism": that is, judging the arguments of discursive opponents primarily on foundations they have never established or made explicit. Booth thought, wisely I believe, that such a rhetorical tactic made the very prospect of compromise or policy settlement untenable. (And no--Booth wasn't only pointing the finger at cultural conservatives, not by any stretch.)

If you truly believe that every word from a liberal carries some nasty hidden agenda--and your posts consistently reveal that deep suspicion--then what explains your presence in mixed company? You can't hope to persuade any liberals, can you, by insulting them categorically and impugning or slandering every good-faith attempt to negotiate?

I'm genuinely curious how you would describe your actual motives for such mingling. I'm trying not to be a motivist by simply assuming! ;)

Steve
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us