The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-a-taxpayer-id-rather-they-do-that-kind-of-30530028.aspx

Subject:  Re: School safety: simple, good idea Date:  2/7/2013  12:35 PM
Author:  Colovion Number:  1858374 of 1961160

As a taxpayer, I'd rather they do that kind of work in high-crime areas so they're a deterrent against a reality rather than a remote possibility.

Probably not a good idea to have them do paperwork in high-crime areas on a regular basis, actually. If they're in a high-crime area they're going to be looking around to see what's happening. They aren't going to want to be staring at a computer screen in that situation... it could get them killed. Cops have been shot while doing paperwork in their cars, unfortunately. Most cop cars have red interior dome lights so they can do paperwork in certain areas with less chance of attracting attention in fact (because they invariably have to do some paperwork in their cars, even if just writing out traffic cites).

Of course their typing up their reports in their cars requires them to have computers in their cars. Not all departments do, some can't afford it while others don't want them for other reasons.

I'm not against having cops do their paperwork in school parking lots, I think it's a great idea in fact! But it isn't possible in every jurisdiction.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us