The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-realize-that-the-idea-of-killing-an-animal-for-30532405.aspx

Subject:  Re: OTish: what sort of scum shoots an elephant. Date:  2/8/2013  2:54 PM
Author:  JDCRex Number:  1858548 of 1961533

I realize that the idea of killing an animal for enjoyment offends you, but if we're going to kill the elephants anyway, we might as well enjoy it.

You've completely missed the main point of the post you're replying to.

If elephants HAVE to be killed for conservation reasons (still not proven, by the way) - selling the right to do it to amateurs is a pretty terrible idea.

Do weekend warriors have the:

- expertise to pick the most suitable animal for culling?

- skill to do it as quickly and painlessly as possible?

- oversight to make sure they are acting within the guidelines?

Please address that point - again, the main point - in any reply you wish to make.

Unless you're a vegetarian, I think your position lacks consistency.

I'm not a vegetarian, although I have found myself eating less land-animal meat these days.

But getting amateurs to kill animals is an entirely different thing to industrial processing with oversight. I know that oversight breaks down way too often (and distaste for the process is part of my lessening of meat-eating as well as just shifting tastes), but it still doesn't have the random factor that hunting does.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us