The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

Subject:  Re: Poll: OT?: Environmental Terrorism Date:  2/10/2013  6:47 AM
Author:  MrPlunger Number:  415511 of 485152

I could have added “destroying rainforests” but TMF only allow 5 options in a poll.

You’ll have seen Notehound’s superb post on food shortages. But is it about overall food shortages (food supply divided by total population) or mainly distribution of resources?

A few notes of my own

1. Life is all about growth, life wants to put resources under the control of its own genes. This is its purpose. Any other purpose, and that life form gets swamped by another. The law of the jungle is engrained or we wouldn’t be here.

2. The world’s human population has more than doubled just since I was born. That’s just incredible in such a short timespan for such a mature species.

3. When I see a TV program asking me to help a poor mother in Ethiopia and her 6 starving kids ... I do a double take. What?????

Or there’s Afghanistan. Kabul’s population increased from 500,000 to 4 million in the past 10 years.

Might this have something to do with it?

The more than $6 billion a year Afghanistan receives from foreign governments in civilian aid (excluding military spending) represents nearly 40% of gross domestic product.

So what happens when we pull out and leave them to it? Having fostered this

Population growth rate
2.22% (2011 est.)
Total fertility rate
5.64 children born/woman (2011 est.)

Are they going to sell us more poppies for our heroin industries? What else can they do?

It looks like we should add to the list “Meddling in stable communities so as to enable them to grow their population to unsustainable levels thereby ensuring widescale distress at some point.”

Can we stand by while there is suffering today because we believe assisting will create more suffering in the future? Tough call.
I’m glad to see Bill Gates, a major terrorist in this respect by only “helping” people live well (and procreate energetical