The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Dividend Growth Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-kelbon-while-i-dont-necessarily-agree-with-30535000.aspx

Subject:  Re: Van Knapp on Diversification Date:  2/10/2013  2:14 PM
Author:  TMFMurph Number:  7829 of 8880

Hi kelbon!

While I don't necessarily agree with the specifics of his choices, the idea of spreading the dividend risk across a greater variety of companies ( from 10-15 to 15-25 ) has merit....at least for me and my long-term financial plan...which is why I posted it for consideration.

I don't think there is a problem identifying that many quality companies who won't have a problem paying...and increasing...their dividends faster than inflation. Further, going to a greater number of companies allows one to more effectively diversify by sector/industry.

Chasing yield for short-term yield's sake is wrong for me and my plan. Diversification is not.

But then, as Warren Buffett says, diversification is insurance against ignorance...and I have absolutely no problem agreeing that next to investors like WEB, I am "ignorant". ;-)

Cheers!
Murph
Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us