The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/whew-that-was-close-30535636.aspx

Subject:  Whew, that was close! Date:  2/11/2013  12:50 AM
Author:  TheBaronAndrew Number:  671083 of 734467

Got a Friend Request on Facebook this evening, from someone whose name I didn't recognize. We didn't have any friends in common either, and I didn't recall encountering him in any of my "groups" on the site, so I wondered how he had heard of me.

I went to his profile and looked around. It said he lived in Texas and I noticed some of his posts were written in what looked like Korean... Hmmm, I thought, who do I know in Texas who is part Asian? I remembered meeting Foolman about a year and a half ago when he was here in Chicago, so I studied this Facebook guy's profile picture, and though it didn't look exactly like him, I decided there was a slight resemblance, so I thought it might be an old photo or something. So, thinking it might be Foolman, I friended him.

Immediately afterwards I got a private message from the guy. He said he was managing the account of some client or other who had just died, and the man had named no next of kin so his estate, worth some $6.2 million, was going to end up being abandoned property. He said I had the same name as the deceased, and he wanted to set me up as next of kin on their records.

Oops... That really set off a red flag, and I found myself thinking of those Nigerian scams. Too good to be true. I immediately unfriended the guy and then blocked him.

Anyway, that's my interesting story for the night.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us