The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-never-hunted-anything-but-humans-have-been-30535752.aspx

Subject:  Re: OTish: what sort of scum shoots an elephant. Date:  2/11/2013  5:52 AM
Author:  JDCRex Number:  1858908 of 1967165

I've never hunted anything, but humans have been hunters since the dawn of the species, and big game hunting in particular held huge cultural significance in hunter-gatherer societies

Some Viking funeral rites had something close to rape followed by ritual murder as part of the proceedings. Some things really are best left in the past.

Perhaps we are both missing out on a fundamental human (well, male) experience?

I doubt I'll ever feel "you know, what I'm missing out on is the killing of a random elephant so that I can feel like a natural born man". And I'll continue to see it as a completely unnecessary thing to do.

In the Metallica documentary, what made me realise the lead singer was a sad, pathetic, searching creature was not the psycho-babble he was susceptible to, but when he was relating how he went to Siberia or whatever and shot a bear. There was this look on his face that said it all - like "nope, that didn't fill the emptiness, but I'll pretend it did". (That, and the juvenile crappy music that he makes, but I suppose that's subjective.)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us