The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-perception-was-that-the-problems-of-1947-1948-30536143.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Jeff takes a trip east - Port Blair, Ind Date:  2/11/2013  11:25 AM
Author:  Gingko100 Number:  415602 of 456989

My perception was that the problems of 1947-1948 split India’s population with Hindus staying in India proper and Muslims ending up in Pakistan. It turns out that over 30% of India’s population is Muslim and they seem well integrated into the diversity.
There was forcible separation and relocation of major groups of people to make this happen. "Partition," as it is known was one of the bloodiest and most tummultous world events of the 20th century, yet is little known in the US. There was slaughter of ethnic/religious groups on both sides of the new line - and the communities near the borders - particularly Punjab and Bengal, got the worst of it.

I can recommend several excellent, if disturbing films on the subject. On the "art house" side - slower and more thoughtful are both "Khamosh Pani," with the amazing Kirron Kher - about the after-effects of it on a woman in Pakistan, and also "Earth" by Deepa Mehta - depicting the lead up to it and events of the time seen from the POV of a Parsi family in what is now Pakistan. Also "Hey Ram," which is more tangential, but for which Partition plays a critical role in plot. On the splashier side is the phenomenal "Pinjar," which shows the impact on one family.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us