The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-hear-conflicting-things-about-ethnicity-and-30536327.aspx

Subject:  Re: Foreign Student Questions Date:  2/11/2013  12:38 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  8019 of 8138

I hear conflicting things about ethnicity and college applications. Some say it's an advantage because of "diversity programs", others say it's a disadvantage (because, frankly, non-white folks are excelling already). I don't really know which way it goes. Maybe it even depends on which college.

As a permanent resident I believe the kid can get in-state tuition rates, which is an advantage (financially). Just like a citizen. Really, all the permanent resident thing does is allow you NOT to have to mess with the INS very much (once every ten years to renew it). Unlike a visa with it's various restrictions. Plus the student can work while in school (I believe on a student visa that is not allowed unless you also get a work permit I-94).

If the student is gifted, and excelling in high school (NHS, good test scores, etc), then more doors are opened to her.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us