The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-the-impression-that-the-quotstepped-up-30536595.aspx

Subject:  Re: Stepped-Up Basis Date:  2/11/2013  2:36 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  117729 of 121564

I have the impression that the "stepped-up basis" she cites above expired in 2012.

As others have already noted, not so.
But I question the premise in the quoted article, namely, "Don't gift low-basis assets." Maybe you want to, maybe you don't.

If the alternative is keep the assets until you die, as suggested, then yes, you'd rather keep the appreciated assets. But otherwise, if it's going to a trust, and you can plan that it will be held for a long time, maybe you don't care. If you're not going to sell, you don't care what the basis is.

The capital gains tax may be 15% or less for the recipient, and 20% or 23.8% for the donor. It makes sense to give the appreciated assets.
Maybe the gift is of a closely-held S-Corp., and you can move income as well as appreciation to lower-bracket family members (not so well if kiddie tax comes into play.)

That was too simplistic an assetion, IMNSHO.

Bill
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us