The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-it-would-be-very-difficult-to-get-the-30539185.aspx

Subject:  Re: Debt-to-income ratio if self-employed Date:  2/12/2013  7:50 PM
Author:  holhealthprac Number:  124745 of 127801

I agree it would be very difficult to get the reported balance to 0, but I can certainly get the balance down to a small number by paying down the balance throughout the month.

I probably have 8-10 regular monthly charges on my business card (advertisers, web hosts, etc). Going off credit completely would mean calling those customer service centers, sitting on hold on ridiculously long phone queues, and then either authorizing them to automatically debit my business account or my writing out those checks by hand every month. Then, a few months later, I would call them all back and go back to putting everything on the credit card. And all that between seeing paying clients. Not worth my time and effort. It's very little effort for me to pay down the cards as I go. I could literally do it daily.

As suggested, maybe I'll experiment with it. I'll pay down the balances as I go for a couple months, pull a credit report and see what the reported balances look like. Last month was higher than usual as I had a big car repair bill and a big oil delivery in the same month, so I intend to wait a few months anyway.

And, when I call around about refinancing rates, I can always ask how that particular lender calculates DTI. Some of them do use minimum required payment. In that case, I wouldn't have to jump through any hoops.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us