The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ot-savings-for-about-1-year-30539567.aspx

Subject:  OT: Savings for about 1 year. Date:  2/13/2013  1:36 AM
Author:  dozer183e Number:  71376 of 75802

I am not really sure where to post this, but this board seems all-around investing savvy, so here goes:

I have about $10,000 that I will need to use in about a year's time. I would like to get the best return on these funds over the next year, so don't really want to just stick the money under my mattress. In the past, I would have considered a CD for this, but since a 12 month rate is only 1%, I think I could do better with a conservative Mutual Fund investment. I basically have two savings accounts for less than 10 year time frames:

1. Money Market for funds I want to keep accessible. It is now yielding less than 1%, so it is almost like using the mattress technique!
2. Vanguard Mutual Fund VWINX: This is an income fund, but has proven to be a safe place to sock away funds with a 3.10% dividend yield (re-invested), plus a 10 year average 7.52% return.

I've been putting funds in VWINX for about 3 years, so anything I pull out in 1 year from now, would have been "first in", so purchased 4 years before.

I'm willing to consider anything new too.

Any recommendations?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us