The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-just-think-that-is-strange-that-any-credit-is-30540611.aspx

Subject:  Re: 1098T/Education credits? Date:  2/13/2013  2:50 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117749 of 121341

I just think that is strange that any credit is given. Can anyone help explain this? Can we avoid taking the $1.00 credit?

Also, one class was taken at a junior college this summer, so how should that be considered...part or full time?

First the low-hanging fruit. Is the "half time" box checked on the JC 1098-T? (The criterion is at least half time, not full time.)

Now I urge you to put aside both TT and the 1098-T for the school involving the scholarship and replace them with his school account record, Pub 970 and scratch paper. You have some degree of flexibility in how you calculate things, and you should do so to your best advantage. Don't rely on the notoriously bad numbers on the 1098-T.

Assuming you are claiming him as a dependent, taxable scholarship amounts would wind up on his return and any credit on yours. I just don't trust your method so far in determining what those numbers should be.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us