The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-that-correcting-errors-should-be-easier-30540761.aspx

Subject:  Re: Another expose on the credit reporting indus Date:  2/13/2013  3:55 PM
Author:  xtn Number:  306814 of 308230

I agree that correcting errors should be easier, and I have a few other issues with the way our credit reporting/scoring system works too.

However I'm always annoyed when somebody claims something along the lines of, "...credit reporting industry has lobbyists that enable them to deny you basic rights with respect to the accuracy and protection of your own personal information."

Your personal information? Hardly. Sure, it's information ABOUT you, but it isn't yours. You didn't collect it, sort it, enter it, maintain it, etc. If I do research and write a report on somebody, for example, it is MY report. It can be about somebody else, but it is mine.

If that explanation doesn't satisfy you, then how about this one: The information is as much your creditors' as it is yours, and they have chosen - most likely with your contractual agreement - to supply it to the CRAs.

And exactly what basic right of yours are they violating? I read the Bill of Rights and I can't imagine what it is you're referring to. I think you're imagining things.

xtn
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us