The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks D / Disney

Subject:  Re: 1Q13 Earnings Conference Call Transcript Date:  2/13/2013  5:31 PM
Author:  DCWD40 Number:  48414 of 51204

Yes Disney does have the rights to make more Indiana Jones films. However people seem to forget that the last one didn't do particularly well.

How is a gross of $786.6 million on a $185 million budget not doing fantastic?

The only movie that outdid Skull at the box office was Black Knight. Being #2 in the world in any year is a big deal and the DVD sales were AOK too. In fact, Kung Fu Panda was #3 and grossed over $150 million less than Indy.

I like the earlier idea that Pixar might consider a Lucasfilm character for an animated feature. Having Harrison Ford be the voice for Indy (or Han Solo) in a Pixar feature might be an interesting way to keep this iconic voice in roles he is associated with without putting him through the rigors of an action movie.

I think Disney has a very positive earnings catalysts for fiscal year 2016 (starting November 1, 2015). Shanghai opens December 2015. Star Wars Episode VII will be a summer release in 2015 but the bulk of its profits (including DVD sales) will fall into fiscal 2016 because it will be released after the May 1 arrival of The Avengers sequel. If Avatar Land construction starts this year as planned, it should open in 2016 (after three years of construction). I think it will do for this park what Cars Land did for DCA.

With ESPN locking in major deals for long periods, the future looks bright there too.

Copyright 1996-2016 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us