The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-phil-i-have-no-problem-getting-30541545.aspx

Subject:  Re: Gross Proceeds (1099-B) help Date:  2/14/2013  12:43 AM
Author:  nml Number:  117759 of 121572

Thanks Phil...

I have no problem getting lectured... will only offer minimal/explanatory responses..

Why wasn't there something in your 2012 papers showing that this happened?

I guess you mean that I should have noted the transaction back in July when it happened... you're obviously correct. Unfortunately, I haven't looked at an E*trade statement in quite awhile as I really didn't know there was anything in there but my Brk shares.

From the eTrade website, Your Forms 1099 & Details will be posted to your account by February 15, 2013 in accordance with the IRS deadline... unfortunately I filed yesterday.... I opened their email today and found the 1099-B..

Please don't call your refund your "return." The return is what you file to claim your refund. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to some.

Noted and I sincerely apologize... I reread my post and definitely messed up there...

reduce your carryover by $55 (the proceeds in question) when you put it on your 2013 Schedule D. Don't bother with an amended return. This assumes that your state return doesn't require an adjustment.

Currently I will get a refund from my NC return, but I don't know how to figure out the effect of the $55 added income/proceeds unless I 'amend' or rerun the return through TT and then rerun the state portion...I know I should be able to look at the return (or the printed pdf of the return) and figure it out, but except for directly subtracting that amount from my state refund, I don't really know how to calculate it..

Any advice (with or without lecture) is most appreciated..

again, many thanks

Mick
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us